Grilled Romaine Lettuce with Blue Cheese Dressing, Croutons, and Red Grapes
- 1 romaine lettuce head
- 1/2 a cup of red grapes, cut in 1/4
- 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion or chives for garnish
- few slices of bread, cut into little squares (I used ciabatta bread)
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil (for croutons) have extra for grilling the lettuce
Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 1/2 cup of aioli of mayo
- 3 tablespoons of buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of minced chives or scallions
- 1 teaspoon of minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4-1/2 cup of crumbled blue cheese
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
*dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 week
*1/2 a romaine lettuce serves 2 people, both halves good for 4.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
In a bowl, whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together, mix in the blue cheese last. If it’s too thick, you can add some extra virgin olive oil, or more buttermilk. Season to taste, and set aside.
Lay out your bread on a pan sheet, and drizzle 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil over the bread. Toss together with your hands so all the oil is evenly distributed. Place in the oven and toast for 8-9 minutes, or until the croutons are golden brown.
Meanwhile, heat up a grill pan on medium/high heat. Cut your romaine head in half length wise. I only cooked one 1/2. Season the lettuce with salt and pepper, and drizzle a good amount of olive oil both sides. Once grill pan is hot enough, place the halved lettuce head flat side down. Grill until golden grill marks show up, flip over and grill the other side.
Once your romaine lettuce is grilled, place on a platter or large plate. Add the quartered grapes and croutons, and drizzle some of the dressing over it all, save the rest of the dressing in the fridge for another time. Garnish with chives or scallions (i used scallions) and serve warm.